“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” Hamlet, William Shakespeare
The earth’s oceans hold mysteries that we haven’t even begun to discover. In fact, only 5% of the world’s oceans have been explored. For this reason, scuba divers are constantly encountering unusual objects and creatures during their dives. Here is a list of some of the oddest things that have actually been found under the sea. Be prepared!
- Ancient Treasures: It is the secret dream of most divers to find hidden treasure under the ocean. And indeed many divers have come across valuable items such as coins, golden chalices and jewelry dating back to ancient times.
- Ancient Sculptures: Recently a congregation of statues was found off the coast of Cancun, Mexico. Other statues have been found off the coast of several European, African and South American countries as well. Many of these statues date back thousands of years and are often preserved nearly intact by the surrounding waters.
- Giant Jellyfish: Last week, Lizzie Daly, a broadcaster and biologist, spotted an amazing site off the coast of Cornwall England. She spotted a gigantic, man-sized (or woman-sized) barrel jellyfish. Jellyfish are usually not a threat to humans, so Daly and her cameraman were more flabbergasted by the creature than frightened of it. In fact, you can find footage online of divers swimming alongside of such creatures.
- A Giant Eye: Roughly smaller than a basketball, a giant eye was found on Florida’s Pompano Beach. Scientists believe that the eye belonged to a giant squid or some other sea creature.
- Lost City Of Heracleion: While no one may ever find the supposed lost city of Atlantis, some ancient cities do rest at the bottom of the sea. For example, the city of Thonis, referred to as Heracleion by the Greeks, was found by divers in the early 2000s. Scientists believe that the city was once populated with thousands of residents.
While we can’t promise you’ll find the lost city of Atlantis or buried treasure during your dive, we can promise you that you will have fun. We can also promise you that you will see a world that most people never witness as you explore the depths of the ocean. Our custom dives in Maui guarantee this. Also, our PADI certified Maui instructors will help make sure that your dive is as safe as it is enlightening.