People who scuba dive are very lucky for two reasons. First they get to explore a wonderful underwater world that only a few people have ever seen. Second, they are in a position to take advantage of all that has been learned in the past several decades about the bond between physical activity and food nutrition. In other words, the foods we eat before we engage in physical activities matters a great deal. In the case of scuba diving, we’ve decided to make it easier for you and share with you the 6 healthy power foods boost list. Let’s dive right into it.
- Fruits: You can never go wrong by eating fruit. Fruit is a natural energizer because of the natural sugars it contains. Fructose burns slower than other kinds of sugars in the body. This gives you a healthy kick that last longer than foods that contain artificial sugars. Bananas in particular contain essential nutrients that support muscle function.
- Brown rice: Brown rice is a great source of carbohydrates. Also, it is full of fiber and considered by many to be a “superfood.” It can easily help provide you with enough fuel to power your dive.
- Eggs: No matter how you prepare them – scrambled, poached, boiled, etc. – eggs provide you with plenty of protein. Protein burns slowly in your system and gives you the feeling of fullness.
- Spinach: You’ll be strong to the finish if you eat your spinach: Popeye had it right about this power food that contains magnesium, is easy to digest and helps make you feel full. Also, it helps prevents cramps which is of particular importance to divers.
- Brazilian Nuts: As is the case with most nuts, Brazil nuts are high in fat and protein. Fat and protein will give you the energy you need to propel yourself through the water. Moreover, Brazil nuts contain anti-oxidants and minerals and can be easily brought with you while you are scuba diving in Maui.
- Lentils: Lentils are among the world’s best sources of plant based protein. Additionally, they contain high amounts of fiber, magnesium, potassium, iron, folate, copper, manganese and other nutrients.
With the right selection of power foods to provide you with the boost that you need for your dives, you will be sure to enjoy your undersea adventure even more. The PADI certified experts on our Maui scuba tours will see to that.